Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Sunday, March 22, 2009

Slow Soupers ~Carrot's

Sunday Slow Soupers again!

It is Debrah's turn to suggest her favorite soup. She picked a guaranteed winner from her catering days. She didn't have exact measurements, but explained her process carefully. It is creamy and flavorful, without added fat or cream.

Carrot Ginger Soup
One large onion - diced (I don’t cook with onions, so I would use a combination of green onions and shallots but you can use all or either)
Three cloves garlic minced or crushed
Three inch piece of ginger root - finely diced (you can use more or less depending on preference)
Eight large carrots (diced)
One Large tetra pack of chicken or vegetable broth
One and a half cups of orange juice

Saute onions, garlic and ginger in olive oil on low heat to soften and start to caramelize for only 10 minutes. Put in carrots and saute for 5 minutes to bring out the sugars. Add enough broth to cover the carrots and simmer till carrots are tender.Remove from heat, place a small amount of broth and all of the carrots into blender and puree until smooth. Pour back into pot, add orange juice and rest of broth (or water) until you get the thickness consistency you desire.
This soup is a guaranteed winner!

A perfect carrot soup for Easter dinner.

It was sweet with a spice of ginger and citrus. Next time I might add a sweet potato for a little more depth of flavor. I topped my soup with some zesty pepper and a garnish of orange zest.

Y'all enjoy!
Sandi

13 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh sounds good. I love to experiment with different ingredients. I will have to try this one. Hugs, Marty

srp said...

This looks really good. My brother made some pumpkin soup out of fairy tale pumpkins that we grew in the flower bed here... that was something.... the soup was great! His recipe is here. I changed layout design since it was posted and haven't gone back to tweak the posts look..

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Sandi, I am going to try this soup! I sounds wonderful. I have yet to meet a carrot I didnt like. YUM!

Anonymous said...

Sandi-I think you're right-sweet potato would be really good in this.

Lisa Pogue said...

Yummy, are you cookin? I'll be right over. This would've been a great "yellow" post too!!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Marty~ You probably have most everything in your fridge. Give it a try!
SRP~ Pumpkin soup... I may have to wait till fall, but it'll be on my list.
Leigh~ of?? (I know just kiddin)
Cindy~ I'll add that sweet potato next time.
Lisa~ I am ALWAYS cookin something!

Paul Nichols said...

First time here. I'd like to order...

Delightful site. I just read the long article "We've been Fifi'd." That was good. I left a comment there, too, if you care to see.

I have already put you on my list of great sites, so will be coming back. I'm learning to cook. Yesterday I fixed baba Ganoush as a side dish for dinner and we are still reeling from its fabulousness.

I know Ganoush isn't a Southern delite (but it could be), however I am an equal opportunity eater. Also, My First Wife is from GA, I've read the book and seen the movie. We love to eat good stuff.

Unknown said...

The soup looks so good, the color and the rich texture. Lovely blog.

Just wanted to drop in a line and let you know of the “Baking Event –Calling all Foodies” hosted by me at the foodie site www.ifood.tv. You are invited to be part of this event that aims to unite bloggers to some great baking this month. The details are all here http://www.ifood.tv/blog/baking_event_calling_all_foodies

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Paul~ glad you stopped by the cafe. You are welcome anytime! I love it when you commented that your 'first wife is from Georgia'. Is there now a 2nd or 3rd...or is that first and only?
LoL
Amy~ I will have to crank up the oven and bake something. I'll let you know what cooking.

Sandi McBride said...

Soup is an all time winner here at Orchard Cottage! This one will certainly get a try. Did I ever give you Mama's recipe for Black Bean Soup and cuban bread? To die for.
Sandi

Coffee with Cathy said...

I love simple but flavorful recipes like this -- carrot soup is perfect for cool spring evenings when you want to start veering away from heavy stews but still need something warm. Thanks for sharing!

Katie Zeller said...

There is something delicious about carrots and ginger.... and pretty, too.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Sandi~ If you did, I've lost it!. I'll email you.
Cathy~ you are so right. Perfect for spring.
Katie~ they just go together... like peanut butter and jelly

Related Posts with Thumbnails